About Carol J Stuart, PsyD.
Dr. Carol Stuart is a licensed clinical psychologist and psychoanalyst with over 30 years of experience.
She is training and supervising analyst of the Institute of Contemporary Psychoanalysis- Los Angeles, CA. Doctor Stuart serves on the faculties of Oregon Psychoanalytic Institute, (OPI) Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program (OPC), Portland Oregon, The School of Professional Psychology, Doctoral Training Program (adjunct faculty) Forest Grove, Oregon, Marylhurst University, Art Therapy Department (adjunct faculty-past) Marylhurst, Oregon.
She has served on the Executive Board, Board, Curriculum Committee, Appointed Chair, and member of the Admissions Committee, Training and Supervising Committee, Best Practices Committee, Faculty Development Committee for Oregon Psychoanalytic Institute and Center. She served as a training and supervising analyst, member of faculty of the Northwest Center for Psychoanalysis, (NCP) Seattle and Portland. She was Curriculum Director and Executive Board Member of NCP-Portland, Chair of Oregon Alliance for Contemporary Psychoanalysis, Portland, and past Board Member of the Portland Psychological Association.
She is a current Board Member for Self Enhancement Inc., a non-profit organization serving predominantly African American Children and families in the Portland Committee. In addition to her private practice she finds meaning and value serving her community.
Course and Seminars
Dr. Stuart has taught courses and seminars to psychoanalysts, psychologists, social workers, counselors, and continuing education to mental health practitioners in the areas of:
- Contemporary Psychoanalytic Perspectives
- Psychoanalytic Theories (Intersubjective, Relational, Self-Psychology, Kleinian, and Object Relations)
- Interpersonal Psychoanalysis
- Relational Psychoanalysis and Process
- Transference and Countertransference
- Women’s Studies
- Therapeutic Alliance
- Termination Process in Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis
- Clinical Case Process
- Psychoanalysis and the Body
- “Eros and Creativity”
- “What’s Love Got to Do With It?
- “The Transparent Therapist Uses and Misuses of Countertransference”
- She has been a guest speaker at Portland Center Stage and Discussed the award winning play “GrayGarden” from a psychoanalytic perspective.
- Discussant of David Lynch’s Play Mulholland Drive through Portland State University’s English Department’s Film series.
Dr. Stuart trained extensively in adult, child, group therapy, and psychological assessment/neuropsychological screening prior to psychoanalytic training. She is a licensed psychologist in both Adult and Child Psychotherapy.
Following her training as a psychologist, she entered a rigorous scholarly specialized training to become a psychoanalyst. This entailed extensive coursework, her own personal analysis and years of supervision. She is a member of the American Psychoanalytic Association (APsaA), the International Psychoanalytic Association, the American Psychological Association (APA-Division 39) , the International Association for Relational Psychoanalysis (IARPP), and past member of the American Group Psychotherapy Association (AGAP).
Dr. Stuart is in private practice and works with adults, couples, visual and performing artists and provides consultations to therapist and organizations.
Areas of Speciality
- Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy
- Clinical Psychology
- Private Practice: Adults, Couples and Groups
- Consultation and Supervision
- Applied Psychoanalysis (Community Outreach)
- 1995-1999 Graduate Psychoanalyst, Northwest Center for Psychoanalysis, Seattle, WA
- 1994 Founding Member, National Registry of Certified Group Therapist (past member)
- License # 1072
- 1993 Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Oregon
- 1991 Psy.D. Clinical Psychology, School Of Professional Psychology, Doctoral Program, Pacific University
- 1990 Clinical Psychology APA Internship (child and adult), Elmcrest Psychiatric Institute (Yale affiliated) Portland, Connecticut
- 1987 M.A. Counseling Psychology, Lewis and Clark College, Portland Oregon